Sunday, February 1, 2015

Nana's Eulogy

You raised me from 'homemade pisgetti sauce' and 'two oreos with one minty-mint' after dinner,
Our chances at adventure time meant traveling through the back yard looking for "snakkies and mannies".
Paddling across the brown ocean of your living room carpet on my sturdy serving-tray-turned-boat with wooden spoons for paddles,
Just so we could watch Jeopardy together.
As I became older,
house calls were less frequent,
and 'I love you's, scattered.
But no matter how far I swam,
you were always to be my lifeguard,
my lighthouse.
Running away meant packing my favorite Barbie and pajamas and running as fast as my mind could carry me,
up the path, across the street and into your safe house arms.
Birthdays meant THE cake and the Tea Hive, decked out in our fashionable wear.
But as we grow older, birthdays, running away, and paddling across carpets aren't just memories tattooed on our hearts,
They're the legacy we leave for the following generations.
Nana, so much you have taught me,
and so much more I have to learn.
Thank you.





My Nana, SaraBelle Harker Junkermann was born on August 8th, 1913 and passed on January 19th, 2014. Her legacy is carried on by my mother, brother, sister-in-law and I, and will be passed down to the following generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment